Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Barca star Messi asks to play in France friendly


Lionel Messi has approached Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola with a request to allow him to play in Argentina's friendly against France in February.

The winger's inquiry comes despite and agreement between Barcelona and the Argentinian Football Association (AFA) that he would not play in friendly matches unless special circumstances arise.

That deal was struck following the Olympics earlier this year as an act of goodwill from the AFA after Barcelona allowed the 21-year-old to appear for his country despite a Court of Arbitration of Sport ruling that they could justifiably deny him from doing so.

Messi told TyC Sports cable today that Guardiola had agreed to his request, although the Barca board are yet to rubber stamp the coach's approval.

And while Messi admitted that may prove problematic, he said he had asked to be released to play in the February 11 match because it would be his final opportunity to meet up with new Argentina coach Diego Maradona before the World Cup qualifiers resume in March.

Messi said: "If Diego names me for February, I will be there. I already talked to Guardiola about this and he understood.

"Talking to the directors is much more difficult, but Pep understood because he was a player.

"I will never say 'no' to Argentina, but I also respect my club a lot. That's why I want to make things clear.

"If I am only able to play in the (World Cup) qualifiers then it will be difficult for me to have a contact with Maradona and my team-mates before then.

"That's why I decided to talk to Guardiola, because if I have to wait for something from the AFA and then from Barcelona board, then it becomes more difficult. They have their reasons and I understand them.

"I knew Guardiola would understand me."

Messi added that his form with his country was being hampered by his lack of preparation with the national team.

"I know I am not the same with Barcelona as I am with the national team," he added. "In the World Cup qualifiers, people and the media criticised us and it makes you play under more pressure."

No comments:

Blog Archive